Thursday, October 19, 2006

LIE and LAY

grammar, grammar rule, english, english grammar, check grammar, grammar check, english as a second language, english class, speak english like an american, grammar help, english grammar exercise, grammar for dummies, grammar for dummy, dummy english grammar, writer, freelance, freelance writer
Here’s the reason most people get this mixed up: LAY has TWO meanings--I’m not kidding; do I look like I’m kidding?

The easiest way to remember when to use LIE and LAY correctly is to …
1) Know WHEN the action occurred (also known as verb tense)
2) Know if the person is reclining or “putting something down”

First, look at these definitions, then we’ll try a few sample sentences:

LIE = to recline (also LYING)

LAY (1) = to recline, in the past (yes, it’s true) – most want to use LAID but DON’T

LAY (2) = to place something, now or in the future, such as PUT or SET

LIE:
I had to LIE down.
Let sleeping dogs LIE.
Let’s go LIE by the pool. (Yes, I know it sounds formal, but it’s correct.)
The money was LYING on the ground.

LAY (1):
Yesterday, I LAY by the pool for hours. (I know, I know, it sounds crazy.)
I called Spot, but he just LAY there.
I was exhausted, so I LAY in bed all morning.

LAY (2):
Bricklayers LAY bricks.
He told me to LAY the books on the desk.
Sarah wanted to LAY the groceries down.

My quick and dirty rule: ALWAYS use “put” or “set” instead of LAY (2) since it sounds formal and many people will actually think you’re stupid if you use it correctly.

No comments: